Raider Infantry Batallion
Yonif Raider TNI-AD
Raiders Infantry Battalions were inaugurated in 2003. The first ten infantry battalions (Yonif) that are Raiders-qualified were formed from eight Kodam's (Military Territorial Command) assault infantry battalions and two Kostrad's non-airborne infantry battalions. Later in 2007, another two battalions (Yonif-514 and Yonif-733) also trained as raider qualification battalions.
Raider now becomes the biggest special forces in Indonesia with almost 10.000 personnel. But not like the old Raider, the new Raider battalion doesn’t have airborne qualification. Each Raiders battalion has strength of 747 personnel. They receive six-month intensive education and special trainings on modern combat, anti-guerilla, and non-conventional war to have a high standard qualification. Each battalion is trained to have the combat ability of three regular infantry battalion, like combat ambush and air mobility (i.e. assault and rappelling from the helicopter). Every Raider battalions also equipped with modified GMC combat tactical vehicle.
To increase its combat ability, 50 personnel from each battalion will be trained further by Kopassus (Indonesian Army Special Force) on anti-terror and other special combat intelligence technique. The first combat duty for the new Raider battalions is when they sent to the Aceh to battle against the Aceh Separatist Movement. In Aceh, raider has exceptional result such as shoot in death of the GAM commander, Ishak Daud.
The new eleven Raiders battalion are:
• Yonif Linud 100/Prajurit Setia becomes Yonif 100/Raider Kodam Bukit Barisan;
• Yonif 145/Bhakti Nagara becomes Yonif 200/Raider Kodam Sriwijaya;
• Yonif 327/Brajawijaya becomes Yonif 300/Raider Kodam Siliwangi;
• Yonif 401/ Banteng Raider becomes Yonif 400/Raider Kodam Diponegoro;
• Yonif 507/Sikatan becomes Yonif 500/Raider Kodam Brawijaya;
• Yonif 612/Modang Manggar becomes Yonif 600/Raider Kodam Tanjungpura;
• Yonif 700/Wira Yudha Sakti becomes Yonif 700/Raider Kodam Wirabuana;
• Yonif 741/ Satya Bhakti becomes Yonif 900/Raider Kodam Udayana;
• Yonif 323/ Buaya Putih Kostrad becomes Yonif 323/Raider Kostrad 1st Division;
• Yonif 412/Bharata Eka Sakti Kostrad becomes Yonif 412/Raider Kostrad 2nd Divison;
• Yonif 514/Sabbada Yudha becomes Yonif 514/Raider prepared for Kostrad 3rd Division;
• Yonif 733/Masariku becomes Yonif 733/Raider Kodam Pattimura.